Elizabeth May at SS Conservancy 2:00 to 3:30 to speak about COP21.
Transition Salt Spring’s mandate is to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels, which will insulate us against the inevitable economic, social and environmental disruptions which are being caused by the global reliance upon oil. It’s up to each of us to choose ways of participating that can include:
- COMMUNITY GARDEN PROJECTS and mentoring for gardeners;
- TRANSPORTATION INITIATIVES such as Car Stops, Electric Vehicle charging infrastructure, Ride-Sharing, and working with our community partners for more bike lanes and public transportation
- EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS that inform, mentor, and train people for the sustainable skills of the future, including: growing, storing, and processing food; reducing waste and re-purposing used items; developing practical hands-on skills so that local tradespeople and do-it-yourself-ers are less dependant upon the world economy
- SUSTAINABLE ENERGY INITIATIVES such as the Community Energy Group (solar panels and more), support for Electric Vehicle (EV) owners, solar hot water, and other sustainable practices
- a RESPONSIBLE INVESTMENT program known as the TSS Enterprise Co-op (TSSEC) that supports eligible LOCAL projects and ventures such as the Salt Spring Abattoir, the Electric Vehicle Charging Station at ArtSpring, and the Booth Canal pathway