Downsizing is often associated with loss. Downsizing is considered bad news.
Rightsizing on the other hand is about A Promotion in life, defining and pursuing the life you want now, with all the bells and whistles but none of the burdensome excess baggage.
Rightsizing can be the first exciting and empowering step!
TOP 10 Rightsizing TIPS
1. Start with the easy stuff. Get rid of all the broken, damaged and no longer wanted.
2. Ask ‘If this disappeared tomorrow would I run out and replace it? If not it is probably not worth keeping.
3. Items that you have in storage for others. It is time to ask them to remove them. Set a firm deadline, after which you will donate the items.
4. Ask for help. You can do a lot, but family, friends or professionals can make the job more manageable.
5. What is important? Pretend you are moving overseas and the items you can take are severely restricted by space and cost. Keep the things that matter most to you.
6. Is this item from a past life style that you no longer have? ie. A canoe, a cabinet full of pots and pans and storage containers that were so useful when you baked and cooked for a large family.
7. Schedule regular times to work on rightsizing. Remember it is a process that will take time. It took a long time to accumulate, you won’t sort it out overnight.
8. Value what you keep. The less you keep the more you will treasure and enjoy them, instead of having them tucked away in a closet.
9. Prevent new collections. Instead of material gifts, ask for theatre productions, spa certificates, or a dinner out with them. Things you want but don’t often buy.
10. Give it away now! Now is a great time to ‘gift’ those items that you eventually want family members to have. Make your special people happy and free yourself of ‘stuff’.
You can count on a SRES to guide you through the process of buying or selling your home, making the transaction less stressful and more successful.
For an overview of information and resources available in BC go to http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/family-social-supports/seniors